Saturday, August 05, 2006

I went to a book sale today

a really good, cheap book sale, somewhere in the wilds of SW Portland. A buck a book. My kind of prices. I have a $10 limit on book sales, so here are the 10 books I bought, and why:

Better Sailing, Richard Henderson, 1977, (research for the novel)
The Reindeer People: Living with Animals and spirits in Siberia, by Piers Vitebsky, 2005 (I have no idea why! It has great pictures? I'm going to write about Siberia? All I know is that I Needed This Book)
The Norton Book of Light Verse, ed by Russell Baker, 1986 (any regular reader of this blog will already know that I like light verse.)
Nika Hazelton's Way With Vegetables
, 1995 (Greek veggie recipes, delish.)
Forgive the Moon by Maryanne Stahl, 2002 (looked good, I'm in an online group with the author)
The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr, 2002 (I loved The Hunter's Wife, looking forward to reading the rest, and he was great at Tin House)
The Merry Recluse by Caroline Knapp, 2004 (I like her essays, and I might want to write essays?)
One Foot in Eden by Ron Rash, 2002 (he's on the Queens faculty, I've heard him read, plus he's dishy, as well as terribly talented)
The Life of Greece by Will Durant, 1939 (research for something new? I have no idea, but really really wanted this book)
A Book of Days for the Literary Year, 1984 (tells who was born, died, etc on each day)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home