Monday, September 18, 2006

Ashland

Oregon Shakespeare Festival is the correct name, but everyone always says, "I'm going to Ashland for a Shakespeare fix." We go every year and see six plays in four days. This year we saw these plays, in order of best to worst:

King John by WS
Intimate Apparel by Lynn Notage*
Bus Stop by William Inge*
The Winter's Tale by WS
Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde by David Edgar
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde.**

*tied for second place in my ranking.

**Earnest is my favorite comedy in the whole wide world. The director of this production apparently felt that he was funnier than Mr. Wilde. He was in error.

I like Winter's Tale more each time I see it. It is truly a play for the middle of life. When I first saw it, as a teenager, I simply did not get it. Now I get it. The Leontes was pretty awful in this production, lots of ranting and not much going on underneath the wig, but what redeemed the entire production was how deep Hermione was. Hermione was played by Miriam A. Laube, and she is now on my short list of exceptional actors: Robynn Rodriguez, Armando Duran, Suzanne Irving, Derek Lee Weeden, Tyler Layton, Richard Howard, G. Valmont Thomas. Hey, actually this is a pretty long list!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm an Ashland company member (remaining anonymous for soon-to-be obvious reasons). Just wanted to say I agree completely with your assessment of EARNEST. I thought Julie Oda, as Cecily, was a particularly sub-par performance.

However, I also agree with you about your list of exceptional actors at OSF. Spot on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home