Saturday, September 16, 2006

Safekeeping by Abigail Thomas

Abby Thomas is a fine writer, an excellent teacher, and an all around swell person. She teaches at the New School in NY, and at Queens, which is where I studied with her.

Safekeeping: some true stores from a life, is a memoir told in very short chapters. Here's a sample:

Something Overheard

It was at a party in what was to become SoHo, lots of drinking, lots of smoke, and somebody said something I didn't catch, and another man replied, one hand on the back of his own head, the other holding a cigarette, both men wearing togas as I recall, "Oh honey, any sense of security is a false sense of security." Everybody laughed, but I didn't get it. I just didn't get it. What was so funny? What did it mean?
Now I get it.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home