Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Mabel's Cafe & Knittery

I'm taking a class at Mabel's Cafe & Knittery. Stranded Colorwork is the official title of the class, which I think sounds like skeins abandoned in a parking lot, but actually it means knitting in more than one color, and not just stripes, mind you. This is the real deal, Fair Isle and Scandinavian patterns.

A friendly group of women gathered at a table, lattes nearby, wool on the table, all knitting and asking questions when we get stuck. Because writers need hobbies. I find knitting relaxing, especially when I am learning something new and complicated.

Traditional Fair Isle Knitting by Sheila McGregor is an excellent source of charts, and the color photos are pretty good. It's a Dover reprint of a classic. I wish someone would reprint the Alice Starmore books.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Anonymous SP Rankin said...

"skeins abandoned in a parking lot,"

Ha!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow. I would love to be a better knitter. After seeing this post, I looked for classes in the greater Valley area, but I see none. Again, I find my interests aligned in Portland. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home