Sunday, April 01, 2007

Knitting Classes at Mabel's Cafe & Knittery

The knitting class lineup at Mabel's is stellar. I'm particularly interested in the Saturday Smorgasbord of Knitting Skills, actually called Skills Smorgasbord. Offerings include Cabling, Two Socks on Two Circulars, Intarsia, Magic Loop, Gauge & Blocking, Beginning to End (casting on & off) and other subjects. $20 for one workshop (2 hours) or for $60 you get 4 workshops. So of course, I have signed up for four. All taught by Eva, from whom I learned Stranded Colorwork.

Mabel's is my local yarn parlour, wool emporium, what is known in the trade as my LYS (Local Yarn Store). I like the selection of yarn, which includes Bartlett, Frog Creek, Manos, Debbie Bliss and Cascade. I like the friendly and knowledgeable staff, heck I just plain like the atmosphere.

One of my favorite treats, when I have been very very good, is to settle down at Mabel's with a latte or beer, and knit and chat. Lots of friendly knitters and friends of knitters drop in, and there is always good conversation about the art treasures of Florence, or how to become a Registered Midwife, or how to fix the crooked thumb on a mitten.

Writing is a solitary business; it's nice to get out and talk about something else, and it's good to be able to create something tangible. Right now I have sock fever, so that's what I have OTN (on the needles) as well as the beginning of a vest.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home