Thursday, May 17, 2007

John Banville

from his essay "Making Little Monsters Walk" in The Agony and the Ego, edited by Clare Boylan, Penguin, 1993

I do not think I am a novelist. As a writer I have little or no interest in character, plot, motivation, manners, politics, morality, social issues. The word psychology when it is applied to art makes me want to reach for my revolver.

To those of you who at this point are about to stop reading, let me hasten to say that this is not an anti-humanist attitude I am striking, not even, really, a postmodernist one. I do believe that the art of fiction does deal with the world, that world which in our arrogance we call 'ordinary', but that it deals with it in very special and specialized ways.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger Maryanne Stahl said...

hmmm. I'd love to read more of this. what does banville consider himself, if not a novelist? (I mean, he does write novels! so by definition...) anyway, provocative!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home