Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Susan Hill

"The novelist can do anything, is all powerful. As the child says at age four or five, 'You can't make me do anything I don't want to.' It's as true for the novelist. I simply do not have to do the chores, write the dull bits. I leave them out. Leave the reader to make huge leaps. And the best thing of all is that it works far, far better. It is boring to read a book in which we are made to plod anxiously all the way from A to B. Even more boring to write one. Hop, skip and jump, like Alice over the hedges between the chess squares. Simple."

from The Agony and the Ego, edited by Clare Boylan, Penguin 1993.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger tracer said...

As a person who has agonized about how to get my characters to walk down the street in an interesting way, I appreciate this advice. Ah yes, the readers will understand that they've walked down the street even if I don't tell them. What a crazy idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home