Monday, August 27, 2007

Charles Baxter

Charlie's coming to town Wordstock) in November, I'm so happy. I know I'll only get to see him for a minute or two, but hey, it's better than nothing. Do I sound smitten? You bet I am.

I workshopped with Charles Baxter last month at Tin House, and only now can I begin to talk about it. He began each day with a half hour craft lecture. I took notes, and typed them all up and I read and re-read them. Some of the information is in his newest book The Art of Subtext: Beyond Plot.

It was a mixed group and Charlie was helpful and brilliant with all the stories and chapters, not just the ones that were obviously well-written and emotionally exciting. All of the work. ALL. Amazing.

Okay. Guess I really can't talk sensibly about working with Charlie yet. Oh wait, here's an example. During our private conference on my story I found myself talking about a line near the end just as if it were a published story, or a story by someone else. And I was excited by what I had found. And so was he.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger Ms. Theologian said...

He really sounds awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home