Saturday, November 24, 2007

First Prize for "Shamlet"

We got home from visiting friends in Seattle for Thanksgiving and there was yet another slim return envelope. I opened it, expecting the tiny slip of paper and yet another no thank you. I slit open my SASE and pulled out a letter and a check for $150.00.

The letter said:

"I am pleased to inform you that the editors of Crucible have decided to award first prize to your story "Shamlet," which will be printed in the 2007 issue later this fall. By Christmas you should receive your two complimentary copies of the magazine. Your check for $150.00 is enclosed. Congratulations, and thanks for your interest in Crucible."
Sincerely,

Terrence L. Grimes
Editor, Crucible


I am still in shock. I have made a copy of the letter and the check for my files. This has been a year of many rejections. And then this, a prize, and money. I look at the check. I look at the letter. I look at the check. I look at the letter...

Crucible is the literary magazine for Barton College in Wilson, NC, and is apparently well-regarded. No website, but I googled, and it shows up as a credit for writers who list it along with other well-known awards etc. The magazine has been around for 40 years.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger Ms. Theologian said...

That's awesome, Linera! Congratulations!

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Ruth Armitage said...

Woo Hooooo! Congratulations Linera! I am so pleased for you!
Ruth

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Carol Peters said...

SCORE! Well-deserved -- I say that with confidence since Shamlet is the first story of yours I ever read. CONGRATULATIONS!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Neuroknitter said...

Congratulations Linera!!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger No Name Me said...

Wonderful news, Linera! Huge congrats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home