Friday, November 14, 2008

Like and As - Your Grammar Girl on patrol

I hereby quote directly from Strunk & White, The Elements of Style, 1979, pp. 51-51)

"Like. Not to be used for the conjunction as. Like govern nouns and pronouns; before phrases and clauses the equivalent word is as.

...Like has long been misused by the illiterate; lately it has been taken up by the knowing and the well-informed, who find it catchy, or liberating, and who use it as though they were slumming."




This misuse is current. Reprehensible. Unvaryingly wrong-o. Hence my dismay and trepidation at the title for a workshop on teaching writing to children entitled: How to Teach Like I Do" offered locally. Hmmmm. I will investigate, and report back, my cherubs.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:58 AM, Blogger 小貓咪 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home