Saturday, December 13, 2008

Johannes Brahms 1833-1897

In his old age Brahms announced to his friends that he was going to stop composing music and enjoy the time left to him. Several months went by without Brahms writing a note. But there came the day when a new Brahms composition made its debut.
"I thought you weren't going to write any more," a friend reminded him.
"I wasn't," said the composer, "but after a few days away from it, I was so happy at the thought of no more writing that the music came to me without effort."

from The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes, edited by Clifton Fadiman.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Zen of Writing said...

That's hilarious! I can empathize -- seem to get the most work done when I tell myself I don't have to do anything.

And what a great gift idea.

Ann

 

Post a Comment

<< Home