Monday, March 09, 2009

I've Loved You So Long

I watched "I've Loved You So Long" last night and I am still captivated by it. The script, directing, acting, editing, costumes, sets, all were in service of the story. And what a story. I don't want to say much about it, because to come to the movie knowing nothing is such a gift. So I'd suggest avoiding the trailer, and not reading reviews, until you've seen the movie. Why the movie was not nominated for Best Foreign Film by the Oscar gang is completely peculiar. The movie was recognized by a number of serious film organizations,including Berlin International Film Festival, Cesar Awards, London Critics, Chicago Critics, Toronto, Telluride, and BAFTA. All of which is irrelevant.

Kristen Scott Thomas is superb. But it is the director and writer, Philippe Claudel, who is my new hero. This is his first film; he's a lit professor and novelist. I look forward to more.

I watched the special features on the DVD, and during the deleted scenes, the director's comments were the most interesting I have heard in a long while. Ah, such pleasure in seeing a really fine film. Such intelligence, and respect for the audience.



Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Janice Gould said...

I'm coming to your comments, Linera, well after you've posted them, but I just want to add that "I've Loved You So Long" is one of the best films I've seen in a long time. It should've won all kinds of awards. It's a smart film, well-acted, well-directed. Kristin Scott Thomas is fantastic, but we loved her co-star, too, who played the sister (and whose name I do not remember, sorry). We saw it in the theater; I'm interested to see the DVD, just to catch the director's remarks.--Janice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home