Sunday, May 10, 2009

Greg Palmer 1947-2009

My old friend Greg Palmer died on Friday, May 8th. We went to high school together, and later Greg hired me to do radio theatre when he was the Station Manger and Program Manger at KRAB Radio, in the early 1970s. My first day at work he was fired by the board.
"Hi, Greg," I said, coming in the door.
"Bye, Linera," he said, grinned at me, and left. He knew I'd be fine. He was, of course, correct.

Greg was a writer, TV producer, host, presenter, and commentator extraordinaire. I last saw him at the signing of his most recent book, Cheese Deluxe, a memoir of his high school job as a short order cook at the Samoa, a burger joint on Mercer Island in the late 1960s. The signing was at Island Books, and the reading was jammed with old friends from his year and my year and the ones in between and around. I knew he was ill, but still, his death is a loss. Greg was a good person, and the world is poorer for his leaving.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger BadGlue said...

my condolences, linera

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger BadGlue said...

ps this is Jilly

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Janice Gould said...

So sorry to hear about this loss, Linera. Good thoughts and wishes,
Janice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home