Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In an Uncharted Country, stories by Clifford Garstang

Press53 has done it again. This time it's a collection of short stories by my pal Clifford Garstang called In an Uncharted Country.

They are all so good, it's hard to pick a favorite, but "Hand-Painted Angel" is the one I keep coming back to. Warm in tone without ever being sentimental, with engaging characters, this is a holiday story about a family secret, but the secret is not the focus of the story, instead the story is about how we make important decisions, and the person with the secret is a secondary character.

I'm also still thinking about the title story, and here's a line that shows the skill of the author, describing how the two main characters married young - "the hungry fit of their untested bodies." That simple phrase shows so much.

So if you're looking for a darn good read, trot right out and get In an Uncharted Country.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Mary Akers said...

I agree!!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Mitzi said...

I'm only a couple of stories in, but I loved "Saving Melissa." Can't wait to read more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home