Friday, October 23, 2009

Salley Vickers

My new fav writer is Salley Vickers and no, that's not a typo, Salley is the Irish word for willow. I'm right now slowing down as much as possible, for when I finish reading Mr. Golightly's Holiday, I will have finished all novels available to me in the states, and will begin in pine over the upcoming book, due in the UK soon, but expen$ive to ship here. So far my absolute favorite of her novels is The Other Side of You, which came out here in 2008, and deals directly and deeply with "The Supper at Emmaus" by Caravaggio.

It is rare indeed to read such good writing about such a good painting, and with such exciting and deeply felt characters, but that's not all. These are characters that live after the last page is closed. Vickers' two favorite authors are Penelope Fitzgerald and Shirley Hazzard, and they are on my top ten list, so I thought I would feel right at home, and I do.

Oh, and did I mention how compelling the story lines are?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home