Saturday, November 14, 2009

Naming the World

Naming the World, edited by Brett Anthony Johnston, is a collection of writing essays and writing exercises, and I'm working my way through it, looking for the good stuff to steal for my own classes. Attributive stealing, so when I assign a prompt, I say, "and this is from Abby Thomas, who writes great memoir" or "from Aimee Bender, fantastic fiction," or "Liz Strout, swell novelist."

I particularly like Liz Strout's chapter on Point of View.
"I have always been interested in the fact that if six people are sitting in a room, whatever happens in that room, it is experienced in six different ways. Each response, of course, has to do with the character of the person involved and this combination - character and point of view - is what interests me most in writing."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home