Friday, July 13, 2012

CARRY THE ONE by Carol Anshaw

CARRY THE ONE by Carol Anshaw is that most delicate and amazing of creations, a literary novel that has glue on the pages. Yes, it is not perfect. No, I no longer expect perfection from literature, or from any other part of my experience of the world, for that matter. But this novel is so satisfying and the characters are so real and compelling and flawed in all the right ways.

A big thing happens right near the beginning of the book, and then the characters have to deal with it. Or try not to deal with it. Roving close third person POV, one of my favorites, and the storyteller past tense, so there is nothing to get in the way of the dream. By this I mean the reader's dream, where I sit down and go into the book and then look up and Considerable Time Has Passed during which I should probably have been Accomplishing Something.  Ah! Lovely!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home