Saturday, March 28, 2015

What Comes Next and How to Like It by Abigail Thomas

I just finished reading Abigail Thomas' most recent memoir, What Comes Next and How to Like It. Amazing! True!

Of course, that's partly because Abby Thomas can write anything and it is riveting. But it is also because what she has to say about getting old and loving and living, well, it's the damn truth, boys and girls. I'm old too, and so I've been reading all these books about getting old, because that's what a dedicated reader does in a new situation. She reads. So I have been reading about the very process I am in. Getting old. Yup. I don't recommend it. Getting old. However, as the alternative is being dead, getting old begins to look pretty good, even on a bad day.

And now, here comes A. Thomas and her wonderful book. Oh yes, I've loved her other books. Especially Safekeeping, which I recommend to anyone who wants to know how to write a memoir. And oddly enough, I don't usually like memoir. Not the usual memoir, where the author had some kind of trouble but gosh and golly it's all better now. Hmmmpf, I say as I toss the book casually (but with pretty good aim for an old gal) onto the sofa, in case the dog might want to read it, because surely I do not.

What Comes Next and How to Like It filled me with joy and dread and love and excitement. The way a really good book does, when you find one. So I heartily suggest that you trot right out and get yourself a copy. Even if you aren't yet old. Because you never know, you might live long enough to need this book......




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home